Splinter beers are for the believers.
Back in the summer of 2016, we opened the Splinter Cellar, our wood-aging dream space. We’d been exploring wood-aging for about a decade, and the Splinter Cellar kicked our efforts into high gear, leading to a string of wild-fermented ales, mixed fermentation and fruited sours, and bourbon barrel-aged heavy hitters. Whether you’ve seen the Splinter Cellar or not, you’ve never experienced it like you will on our new Splinter Tour. In the hands of an expert guide, you’ll spend an hour and a half getting up close and personal with our three 21-foot foeders and learn not just how we age beer on wood, but why.
You’ll also go behind the curtain and walk among walls of bourbon, wine, sherry and tequila barrels. You’ll dig into the mysteries and science of wild yeast and bacteria and how our local microflora, grains and fruits – not to mention our people and processes – lead to beers unique to Tröegs. And of course, you’ll taste several wild and wood-aged beers, some straight from the foeders where they’re developing.
Each Splinter Tour guest can look forward to:
- Tastes of four limited-edition wild or wood-aged beers
- Samples of the “mother beers” to compare the jumping-off points with the Splinter Beers
- An up-close look at raw ingredients, including malted grain and whole-flower hops
- A discussion of the renowned Pennsylvania “fruit belt” and how it shapes our fruited beers
- A perfect snack-and-beer pairing from our scratch-made kitchen
- A take-home Tröegs chalice and house-made caramels.
Tour times: 2:30 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month and limited to 12 people to keep the discussion and tastings intimate.